Wednesday, November 27, 2013

November Photo Challenge - Swim Team

Prior to coming to TZ and HOPAC, Marc received a staff email asking for swim coaches. He forwarded it to me and I thought about it for a few weeks. I finally responded to the sports coordinator, Rose, saying something along the lines of, "I swam in high school - 15ish years ago - and I was in lane 4 cause I wasn't very good. I probably never won a race. I've never coached anything in my life. I can't swim butterfly. I've got 2 little kids I'd need a sitter for. BUT if you REALLY need someone, I MIGHT POSSIBLY consider it".

So I've been co-coaching the Primary (Grades 2 - 5) Swim team for about 2 months now. Rose was desperately desperate, I guess. The other real coach, Lauren, is the one who does all the hard work of planning what we'll practice, sending parent emails, etc. She actually knows what she's doing. I periodically run a practice or hop in the water & help individual students with their stroke.

I can't say this is why I'm called to Africa. I'm not sure I'll do it more than a year. It has, however, given me a reason to be on campus, getting to know students and their families a bit. It's given me a break from mommyhood for a couple hours a week. It gives me a chance to get in the pool every so often. All in all, it's good and I'm thankful for the opportunity.
Lauren teaching the kids correct technique for Breaststroke.

Lauren giving some instructions to the kids before getting in the pool

No comments:

Post a Comment